Additions : More Space for Less Money
We are all in need of more space in our houses. When you want an entirely new room–another bedroom, bathroom, or an office or sewing room–you put in an addition.
While not rigid rules, the following provide a general profile for the majority of bump outs:
- Extend from the house from 2 to 8 feet.
- On an upper story, a bump-out can be cantilevered (unsupported by posts) as far as 2 feet.
- Do not require additional heating or cooling.
- Require additional horizontal bracing to compensate for lost studs.
- Typically serve just one function (see below for suggested uses).
- Have a shed (lean-to) or flat roof, rather than extending the existing roof.
Not meant to substantially change the exterior of the house; only to add inside space